Featured Stories

Holiday Pet Tips

Brought to you by Dr. Kristen Hardinge - Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic - VETERINARY INSIDER -

WILSONVILLE VETERINARY CLINIC - Dr. Kristen HardingeThe holidays can be exciting but also potentially stressful and possibly hazardous for your pet. Pets are generally creatures of habit and changes in routine and holiday guests can be overwhelming.

Allow pets to have a quiet area to retreat to if they wish and try to keep their schedule for feeding and exercise. Watch for open doors and make sure your pets have ID tags and/or microchips in case they get out.

Chocolate, Xylitol-containing candy, alcohol, fatty foods and bones are all items in abundance over the holidays to keep out of reach of your furry friend. Remember that your pet may sniff out wrapped presents that contain food items.

Breakable ornaments, ribbons and tinsel may all be very enticing (especially to a curious cat) but can cause serious injury if ingested. Chewing on light strands or electrical cords can cause burns or even electrocution.

Holly, mistletoe and poinsettia can be mildly toxic and cause gastrointestinal upset. Also, do not allow your pet to drink from the Christmas tree water especially if there are any additives or preservatives in the water.

While it may be exciting to receive a puppy or kitten under the tree, the holidays may not be the best time to introduce a new pet. Also, if giving a pet as a present, make sure the recipient wants the pet and is able to care for it. If so, perhaps wait until the holidays are over and select the pet together.

Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic

9275 SW Barber St, Wilsonville, OR 97070

(503) 682-3737