Featured Stories

7 people foods you should never feed your pet

Brought to you by Dr. Kristen Hardinge - Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic - VETERINARY INSIDER -


WILSONVILLE VETERINARY CLINIC - Dr. Kristen HardingeGiving your pet the food off your plate may seem harmless, but there are several foods that we enjoy that can be dangerous for our pets.

1. Chocolate/Coffee contain a substance that can cause heart problems or seizures at higher doses. Dark chocolates are the most dangerous.

2. Grapes/raisins can cause kidney failure.

3. Xylitol, a common sweetener in gum, food, and toothpaste, can cause dangerously low blood sugar and even liver failure in pets.

4. Onions/Garlic can cause red blood cell damage, particularly in cats.

5. Bones might seem like a special treat for your furry friend, but they often splinter and may puncture the intestinal tract or become lodged, requiring surgery.

6. Well-meaning, loving owners like to give their pet a taste of the holiday ham or a bit of bacon grease on their food, but Fatty Foods can result in pancreatitis which causes severe vomiting and diarrhea that requires aggressive treatment.

7. Alcohol/Marijuana can likewise be harmful to your pet. It is important to consult with your veterinarian if you suspect that your pet may have consumed either of these substances.

This is by no means an all-inclusive list. If you suspect that your pet may have consumed any of these items, or if you’re not sure if something may be poisonous, please consult your veterinarian, veterinary emergency clinic, or animal poison control. Prompt action and treatment is more effective than waiting until your pet is showing symptoms.

Wilsonville Veterinary Clinic

9275 SW Barber St, Wilsonville, OR 97070

(503) 682-3737

www.wilsonvilleveterinaryclinic.com