Livestock perish in overnight Lee Farms fire
This story has been updated from its original version.
A calf and 15 chickens were killed in a fire that engulfed a barn at a farm near Tualatin early Tuesday morning, according to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.
Firefighters received a call about the fire at Lee Farms, located at 21975 S.W. 65th Avenue, just after 1 a.m., the agency said, and responded to find the barn fully engulfed. They were able to contain the fire to the barn and extinguish it, but the animals could not be saved.
The total value of the loss is estimated at $10,080.
Lee Farms provides educational tours for children as part of its business. The barn's primary use was to provide an area for tours where children could pet farm animals, according to a TVF&R release.
There were no human injuries reported as a result of the fire.
A fire investigator has concluded that the fire was likely started by a heat lamp, TVF&R said.
Lee Farms is currently closed after the October harvest season. It is scheduled to reopen on Nov. 14 for the Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.
A call requesting comment from Lee Farms was not immediately returned.
Editor's note: This story has been updated with more information about the business.JW_DISQUS_ADD_A_COMMENT