Daily News Where you Live
Two men burned in Tigard 'hash oil' explosion
Two men were severely burned in what police say was a "hash oil" explosion inside a bathroom at a Tigard convenience store early Sunday.
Dennis Tapia, 18, and Jose Rios, 23, took themselves to a hospital for treatment of their burns. They were later were transferred from Providence St. Vincent to the Legacy Oregon Burn Center. Their conditions are not immediately available at this time.
The explosion at the 76 Gas Station and Food Mart at 10775 S.W. Greenburg Rd. was reported around 1:50 a.m. on Nov. 23. When Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue crews arrived, they found the bathroom was significantly damaged and a small fire had spread into the false ceiling.
The fire was quickly extinguished, although the store suffered some smoke damage.
Tigard police arrived and determined the two men had been in the bathroom at the time of the explosion, and had used an extinguisher to put out the initial fire. A TVF&R investigator found the men were trying to get so-called hash oil from marijuana by using a heat gun. That ignited butane gas and caused the explosion.
The investigation continues. No charges have yet been filed.
Add a comment