New year, fresh start for senior exercise
Brought to you by Kara Tobey, Prestige Senior Living Riverwood - Retirement Living INSIDER -
Exercise and physical activity are important for everyone, including older adults.
No matter your health and physical abilities, you gain a lot by staying active. In fact, in most cases you have more to lose by not being active.
Here are just a few of the benefits of physical activity for seniors:
· Can help maintain and improve your physical strength and fitness
· Can help improve your ability to do the everyday things you want to do
· Can help improve your balance
· Can help manage and improve diseases like diabetes, heart disease and osteoporosis
· Can help reduce feelings of depression and may improve mood and overall well-being.
You may want to talk with your health care provider if you arent used to energetic activity and you want to start a vigorous exercise program or significantly increase your physical activity. Your activity level is an important topic to discuss with your health care provider as part of your ongoing health care.
Ask your provider how physical activity can help you, whether you should avoid certain activities, and how to modify exercises to fit your situation.
The key word in all these benefits is YOU -- how fit and active you are now and how much effort you put into being active. To gain the most benefits, enjoy different types of exercise, stay safe while you exercise and be sure to eat a healthy diet, too!
Prestige Senior Living - Riverwood
18321 SW Pacific Highway
Tualatin, OR 97062