Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Saints win by two, stop the streak

Mt. Hood women's team closes the home season on positive note


In a season where nothing has seemed to go their way, Mt. Hood showed their true colors down the stretch on

Tuesday night.

Despite trailing for almost the entire second half, the Saints went on a 10-0 run in the final 2:32 to come away with the 71-69 win over Portland Community College. Alicia Owens had the game-winning layup with 5.9 seconds remaining to get the victory in Mt. Hood's final home game of the season.

Makenzie Whitney led the Saints with 20 points while Chloe Cummins added 16 points and Owens chipped in with 15 points off the bench. Courtney Bay was also in double-figures with 10 points.

The win broke Mt. Hood's 13-game losing streak.

"It was outstanding to get a win. I am so happy for those kids," Mt. Hood head coach John Hawley said. "They're an outstanding group of young ladies, and despite the adversity they have been through, they still come to work every day."

The injuries that the Saints have had this season have been too much to overcome as they have yet to play a game with a full roster.

"We haven't even had 10 players at practice since the first week of September. It has always been one thing or another when it comes to injuries," Hawley said. "But to go through that and stay focused and stay working is big for our future."

Mt. Hood had a 33-32 lead at half, but Portland started the third quarter on a 9-0 run to retake the lead. After going scoreless in the first five minutes of the half, the Saints got buckets from Jessica Parker and Bay to cut the lead to 41-37. However, the Panthers would increase their lead to nine to end the period.

Portland would continue to shoot the ball well in the fourth quarter, but the Saints matched with 3-pointers from Whitney, Owens and Nyah Curtis.

"We shot the ball better tonight then we have in previous games," Hawley said. "The big thing was that we were getting some second opportunities on missed shots and we took advantage."

Portland held a 69-61 lead with under three minutes to play. A triple from Owens and a contested floater from Whitney cut the lead to three with under two minutes left. After getting another defensive stop, Cummins hit a clutch trey from the corner to tie the game at 69 all.

The Panthers tried to run as much time off the clock before taking a shot on their next possession. But Parker poked the ball away from the Portland point guard, and there was a mad scramble for the ball towards mid-court. Owens came out of the pile with the loose ball, and went in for an uncontested layup to give the Saints the lead.

Portland's Charmayne Robinson got up a desperation 3-pointer before the horn, but it fell way short and the Saints came away with the thrilling win.

"We did a much better job executing in the fourth quarter and we went from playing zone to playing man-to-man (defense), we did a good job of getting out on their shooters," Hawley said.