FONT

MORE STORIES


The July 22 incident resulted in the temporary displacement of those living in the Mansfield St. home because they were unable to cook meals.

Cooking oil in a pan that splashed over onto a burner is being blamed for a fire that displaced 11 people Saturday, July 22, at a Sherwood adult foster care home.

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue responded to the incident in the 23000 block of Mansfield Street around 6:24 p.m., according to Cassandra Ulven, a spokeswoman for TVF&R.

Ulven said an overhead sprinkling system activated, limiting damage to the kitchen. However, because of the extent of the kitchen damage, the adult foster care owners were unable to cook meals for their residents, forcing them to vacate until the damage is repaired.

The incident involved five foster care residents along with the owners of the facility and their children, said Ulven.

The American Red Cross responded to the fire by providing basic needs to those affected including temporary housing, food and other essential items.

Although unrelated, this was the second fire in the 23000 block of Mansfield Street in the last seven months.

On Dec. 14, Gayle Brown suffered burns and serious injuries after a fall from a second-story back window as she tried to escape from her fully engulfed home on the same block. She died on Dec. 21 as a result of her injuries.

Contract Publishing

Go to top