Sherwood woman critically injured in fire last week dies
A GoFundMe account has been set up for the Brown family
A Sherwood woman who was critically injured in a Dec. 14 fire on Mansfield Street has died.
Gayle Brown passed away Wednesday at 4:25 p.m. surrounded by her family, according to family friend Pam Mendenhall.
"We are all heartbroken of the loss of Gayle," Mendenhall said. "Her little body couldn't fight any longer … we need all the love and support as our family is having a very hard time."
Brown suffered burns and serious injuries after a fall from a second-story window as she tried to escape from the fully engulfed home.
As she tried to escape, her husband, Chris, noticed she had been overcome by smoke and had passed out, said Mendenhall. Chris quickly climbed to the second-story back window to grab his wife but she suffered a broken back after hitting the ground, Mendenhall said.
"(Chris is) very devastated," said Mendenhall, who is the fiancée of Chris' nephew, Nathan Brown. "He doesn't know what he's going to do."
Gayle Brown had been a long-time employee of the Tualatin Fred Meyer.
In addition to the fire, Chris lost his mother, who had lived at the Mansfield Street home, just before Thanksgiving. At the same time, Chris' best friend died of a heart attack within the last week, said Mendenhall.
The Browns, who have three grown children — Sarah, Jennifer and Jeremy — have lived in Sherwood since 1990. Although Jeremy was living at the home he wasn't there at the time the fire broke out and the fire destroyed everything except a portion of his room, Mendenhall said.
A memorial service for Brown is set for 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 31, at the chapel at Lincoln Memorial Park, 11801 S.E. Mount Scott Blvd. A graveside service will follow at 11 a.m.
Meanwhile, a GoFundMe account has been set up for the family.
In addition, the CI Bar and Grill in Tualatin will take donations as long as the family needs them, matching them up to $1,000. They are located at 18786 S.W. Boones Ferry Road.