Hillsboro man suffers burns while trying to find family dog
A Hillsboro man was injured when he went back into a burning mobile home to look for the family dog early Saturday morning. The dog had gotten out safely, officials said, but the home at 640 S.E. 3rd Ave. was a total loss.
Hillsboro Fire investigators said electrical problems were to blame for the blaze, which displaced three adults and a 2-year-old boy. The man who tried to re-enter the home was transported by ambulance to the Oregon Burn Center for treatment. He was not identified.
The fire was reported at 1:06 a.m. Saturday. When firefighters arrived, they found the deck engulfed and flames coming through the windows on both sides of the single-wide mobile home. It took about 10 minutes for 18 firefighters to extinguish the blaze, officials said.
Witnesses told investigators that one of the residents and his 2-year-old nephew were on the front deck of the home when they saw smoke and flames just inside the front door. The man was injured when he tried to re-enter the home to look for the family dog. The boy's parents were not home when the fire broke out.
The Oregon Trail Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing and essentials.