Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 12 mph
19 Dec 2014
20 Dec 2014
Five displaced by Milwaukie house fire
Five Milwaukie residents escaped injury when fire damaged their home early Sunday.
Fire investigators say the blaze began on the back deck and originated from a BBQ used by the homeowners for dinner the previous evening. The home did not have a working smoke alarm, and early estimates value damages at $50,000.
Clackamas Fire District 1 responded to the fire at at the single story residence 8111 S.E. Thiessen Road at 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 3. The single alarm fire was extinguished and called under control in 20 minutes.
Several of the eight fire apparatus that responded remained on scene for extensive salvage and overhaul operations. The fire quickly traveled from the back deck of the home, and extended into the attic, creating challenges for fire crews. This requires that a hole be cut in the roof to allow heat and smoke to escape.