by: PORTLAND FIRE & RESCUE - Firefighters battle early Friday blaze at Pal's Shanty.An early Friday morning fire heavily damaged Pal's Shanty, a well known neighborhood tavern in the Hollywood District.

No one was injured in the fire.

According to Portland Fire & Rescue, at 1:28 a.m. on Nov. 15, fire crews were dispatched to a commercial fire at a restaurant locdated at 4630 N.E. Sandy Blvd. Original reports from callers were that an explosion was heard and then sparks and smoke were seen coming out of a second story window.

When fire crews arrived, they found large amounts of smoke coming from the two-story building and were immediately concerned about the amount of "exposure" buildings, or buildings that are at risk of fire spread due to proximity to original fire building.

Once the threat of fire spread was recognized, a second alarm was called adding additional engines and ladder trucks to the scene. At one point crews were ordered to evacuate the building due to increasingly hazardous conditions being reported from fire crews inside the building.

When the fire's location was recognized, with the help of multiple ladder truck companies, engine crews were ordered back in to finish the job of extinguishing the fire, fire officials say.

Crews were still on-scene hours later assisting fire investigators with removing burnt material and debris from the interior so that a cause can be determined. No information was immediately available about the cause of the fire or the amount of damage.

Inquiries regarding cause can be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. No injuries to occupants, firefighters or pets reported.

Contract Publishing

Go to top