Investigators have determined that the fie in Clackamas on Monday was caused by a firework, either thrown or placed inside a car wash, igniting a large section of brush.
On July 1, shortly after 10 p.m., 911 dispatchers began receiving multiple calls reporting the car wash at the Shell Gas Station,10725 S.E. 82nd Ave., was on fire. While enroute to the scene, Clackamas Fire District No. 1 crews reported heavy black smoke and upgraded the response to a second alarm due to its proximity to a gas station.
Upon arrival firefighters found a large volume of fire and smoke coming from a detached car wash facilty. Crews quickly went to work to extinguish the fire and secure the facility. Two workers suffered minor injuries after falling on the ground but declined medical transport or treatment on scene.
Fire investigators, after conducting multiple interviews and reviewing various reports and pieces of information have determined that the fire was caused by a firework, but could not determine whether it was legal or illegal.
At this time the investigation remains open and ongoing and Clackamas Fire is working in partnership with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office. Damage estimates are not available at this time. Should you have any information about this incident, call the Clackamas Fire Prevention office at 503-742-2660.
Clackamas Fire would like to remind people to use only legal fireworks this Fourth of July and ensure that they are put out in a metal bucket of water after use.