Daily News Where you Live
Wind: 10 mph
30 Aug 2015
31 Aug 2015
Dryer lint blamed for fire
Firefighters are blaming dryer lint for a fire that caused $70,000 in damages to a Southeast Portland home and its contents Sunday morning.
According to Portland Fire & Rescue, at 10:15 a.m. on June 30, crews were dispatched to a fire at 824 S.E. Spokane St. The first responding units could see " a column of smoke" while they were en route.
Station 20 verified that all of the occupants were evacuated and worked their way to the back of the home where the fire started. Additional fire crews arrived and checked various areas in the walls and ceiling to put out the remaining hot spots.
The fire started in the dryer and spread through the walls into the kitchen area. One of the occupants suffered a laceration to the foot while evacuating the home but was not transported to a hospital. The Red Cross was called out to assist the family. Damage was estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $20.000 to it's contents.
Portland Fire & Rescue would like to remind everyone to always clean your lint screen before every load. White plastic vent hoses should be replaced with aluminum type vent hoses. The lengths should be as short as possible. Vent hoses should be cleaned regularly from the wall behind the dryer to the outside flap.