Pete Schulberg/On Media
Time to kick-start the time machine and ask that age-old question of Portland media personalities: 'Where are you now?'
For starters, KGW (8) anchor Tracy Barry returns from maternity leave in February, while KATU (2) morning news anchor and 'AM Northwest' co-host Ken Ackerman could be back any day now. He's been recovering from complications after surgery for a herniated disk.
And now, here's an update on some once-familiar faces:
• Jim Benemann, former KGW anchorman: After six years at NBC in Denver, Benemann was hired away last year by Denver's CBS station.
• John Marler, former KATU anchor: Now in marketing and video production in Portland area. Marler's wife and former co-anchor, Cathy Marshall, left the station last month after being told during her maternity leave that her contract would not be renewed. Don't be surprised if Marshall ends up at a competing station six months from now.
• Kathy Smith, former anchorwoman for KPTV (12), KGW and KATU: Retired and living in Portland.
• Jim Rauh, former KOIN (6) anchor: Now in public relations and marketing in Portland.
• Doug LaMear, former KGW sports director: Retired and living in Portland.
• Jack Capell, former KGW meteorologist: Retired and living in Seattle. Son John Jr. is a KATU reporter.
• Jim Bosley, former KATU weather guy and one-time co-host of 'AM Northwest': Working on art projects in Portland.
• Jim Little, former KGW meteorologist: Weather forecasting for the Oregon Department of Agriculture.
• Ralph Wenge, former KGW anchor: Now doing communications consulting on the East Coast after retiring from his 'World News' anchor post at CNN.
• Don Wright, former morning host for KGW radio (used to be 620 AM) and KKSN (97.1 FM): 'Uncle Don' is a media communications consultant in Portland.
• Lou Gellos, former KATU and KGW sports guy: He's manager of corporate communications and public affairs for Microsoft in Seattle.
• Shirley Hancock, former KOIN anchor: Living in Curacao in the Caribbean, where her husband works for AT&T's international division.
• Rob Marciano, former KATU weatherman: Doing weather at CNN.
• Richard Ross, former KATU and KGW anchor: Retired in Lake Oswego.
• Bill Lagatutta, former KGW anchorman: He's now a correspondent for CBS' '48 Hours.'
• Jim Howe, former KEX (1190 AM) newsman: Retired and living in Beaverton. Daughter Patty is an assignment editor at KPTV.
• Larry Blackmar, former host of the KGW game show 'On the Spot': Sales manager for Peter Jacobsen Productions.
• Steve Arena, former KATU sports director: Running a dry-cleaning business with several local locations.
• John Davis, former KGW weekend anchor and reporter: Anchoring and reporting for WBBM-TV in Chicago.
• Melissa Mills, former KATU anchor: Owns Brickhouse Vineyard and winery in Yamhill County.
• Walden Kirsch and Larry Shoop, former KGW reporters: Both work in Intel's corporate communications department.
• Steve Bartelstein, former KGW sports director: Co-anchoring the morning news on New York's WABC-TV.