COURTESY: DAYNA FJORD/PORTLAND WINTERHAWKS - Caleb Jones, Portland Winterhawks defenseman, circles the net with the puck during Monday's daylight game at Memorial Coliseum. Jones scored in overtime to beat the Victoria Royals 2-1.The Portland Winterhawks received some sweet justice Monday afternoon at Memorial Coliseum.

Two days after having Caleb Jones’ goal waved off in overtime after review, and then losing on a Seattle goal with less than a second left, the Winterhawks beat Victoria 2-1 in overtime, with Jones scoring the winning goal 1:13 into the five-minute, three-on-three period before 6,723 fans.

“We were in the D zone, and I battled for the puck and chipped it around,” said Jones, whose father, NBA assistant coach and former player Popeye Jones, attended the game. “(Jack) Dougherty made a great play to punch it up the wall, he was able to get it to (Dominic Turgeon), who was pretty tired at the end of the shift. He blew a couple more seconds out for me as I got up the ice, made a great pass and I just put it in the net.”

Jones says it felt good, especially after the waved-off goal at Seattle. “Jamie (Kompon) came up to me and said, ‘This one counted,’” he said, of the GM and coach. “That was pretty funny.”

The Royals (37-16-3-3), second to Kelowna and Lethbridge by a point for best record in the Western Hockey League, had taken a 1-0 lead (on Ryan Peckford’s goal) by dominating the first 10 minutes. The rest of the way, the Hawks controlled play and outshot the Royals, with Turgeon scoring the second-period equalizer against Victoria goalie Griffen Outhouse.

“They were a team playing their third (game) in three nights, and they were in hockey mode,” Kompon said of Victoria. “We had a day off Sunday and didn’t skate. We waded ourselves into the game instead of going after the game. You can’t do that against a top team like Victoria, the hottest team in the WHL and probably one of the best teams we’ve seen all year.”

Adin Hill helped shut out Victoria for 50-plus minutes, finishing with 29 saves. The Hawks moved to 29-25-3-0, heading into a six-game road trip to Alberta and Kootenay.

While Jones had his father in attendance, the Hawks had owner Bill Gallacher on hand for the afternoon game, which featured open curtains at the coliseum.

“It was a special night for everyone,” Jones said. “I heard my dad went pretty nuts in the crowd.”

The Hawks open their road trip against Lethbridge on Friday, and then play at Medicine Hat (Saturday), Calgary (Tuesday, Feb. 23), Edmonton (Wednesday, Feb. 24), Red Deer (Friday, Feb. 26) and Kootenay (Saturday, Feb. 27). Even after the road trip, the Hawks have only five home games remaining, and another four on the road.

Contract Publishing

Go to top