It’s Friday, Oct. 28, Animation Day. Happy birthday to software giant Bill Gates (1955). We wonder Gates calls when his Windows 10 doesn’t work. Today in 1919, Congress adopted the National Prohibition Act, cutting off alcohol sales across the nation. Expect fog then mostly sunny skies, with a high around 60. Celebrate animators in our midst today:
• Discuss what “place” means at Oregon Humanities’ This Place Gathering, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Chehalem Cultural Center, 415 E. Sheridan St., Newberg. $35 and $15 for students, veterans and youth.
• Bid on the 2016 Doernbecher Freestyle collection of Nike shoes designed by young patients, at an auction by Nike and OHSU’s Doernbecher Hospital, 5:30 p.m., Portland Art Museum’s Mark Building, 1219 S.W. Park Ave. http://www.ohsu.edu
• Help members of the Centennial Future Business Leaders of America’s carnival, Eagle Scream Fest, raise money for Food for Families, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., at Centennial High School, 3505 S.E. 182nd Ave., Gresham. http://www.centennialfbla.com/
• Rush to Clackamas Community College’s fundraiser for its Military Families Scholarship Endowment, 6 p.m., at Camp Withycombe, 15300 S.E. Minuteman Way, Clackamas. www.give.clackamas.edu/goldrush
• Float through the Haunted Trail at Mary S. Young Park, 7 to 10 p.m., 19900 Willamette Drive, West Linn. http://westlinnoregon.gov
Portland's Latest News