Man arrested after assault on boy and his mother
Public safety Police ask that resident of group home be relocated after attack Thursday
A Newberg man was arrested last week after allegedly assaulting a staff member at a state-operated group home and then attacking a young boy and his mother at a nearby residence.
According to police reports, Richard Lee Wright, a resident of Charles Street Home at 918 Charles St., struck the 23-year-old staff member at the facility around 3:30 p.m. Thursday and then entered the private home next door through an unlocked door. There, the report said, Wright repeatedly punched the 7-year-old resident of the home. When the boys mother attempted to intervene, Wright punched the woman, but despite additional blows delivered by Wright she was able to push him out the door while her 10-year-old son called 9-1-1. The 10-year-old was not injured.
Officers from the Newberg-Dundee Police Department arrived within minutes and took Wright into custody without incident.
The 7-year-old boy suffered swelling to his face, while the mother, 37, had injuries to her forehead and left side of her face. Neither injuries were life-threatening and the pair were transported to Providence Newberg Medical Center, said Capt. Jeff Kosmicki of the Newberg-Dundee Police Department, who added he believed they were released later that day.
On behalf of the family and safety of the neighborhood the Newberg-Dundee Police Department has contacted representatives of the group home and requested that Richard Lee Wright be placed somewhere else immediately, Kosmicki said.
The group home is run by the Department of Human Services.
Wright was transported to the Yamhill County jail on charges of first-degree trespass, reckless endangering, third- and fourth-degree assault.