Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Fire breaks out Monday in Dundee home

Public safety — Efforts to extinguish the blaze result in extensive damage to the residence on Locust Street


Fire broke out Monday at a home in Dundee and, although the blaze was contained quickly to the residence’s attic, the damage was nonetheless extensive.

“When we arrived, there was light brown smoke coming out of the rear of (the home),” said Dundee Fire Chief John Stock.

The one-alarm fire at 1010 S.E. Locust St. was reported by a passerby who witnessed smoke pouring from the eves of the home, which was unoccupied at the time. Because the tenants were not on site, firefighters had to break into the house in order to begin fighting the flames.

Once inside, firefighters determined the fire originated in the attic, although Stock said it appeared it was started by a wood stove on the ground floor.

“It was contained to the attic, so we had to pull out the ceiling and insulation,” he said Monday afternoon. “There are still hot spots and a lot of over-haul that still needs to be done.”

He added that because the fire was limited to the attic, flames did not inflict much damage to the home, but the firefighting efforts left behind extensive damage to the entrance of the home and inside the structure.

“We were able to extinguish it rather quickly,” Stock said.

No damage estimates available as of Tuesday morning.

Both Dundee and Newberg fire departments were at the scene. No injuries were reported.




Local Weather

Light Rain

45°F

Newberg

Light Rain

Humidity: 97%

Wind: 14 mph

  • 23 Apr 2014

    Rain 51°F 49°F

  • 24 Apr 2014

    Rain 58°F 39°F