Firefighters save home in Colton-area barn fire
A barn fire at 23342 S. Schieffer Road Thursday closed nearby roads to through traffic, including South Schieffer, South Partridge and South Gordon roads outside Colton.
At 1:30 p.m. Thursday, May 29, Colton Fire Department was toned out to a barn fire at 23342 S. Schieffer Road. Colton Fire Chief Richard Beaudoin said he knew when he was driving up to the site and saw a large dark plume of smoke spiraling up from the fire that it was going to be big and immediately sounded a second alarm.
The outbuilding was completely engulfed when we arrived, Beaudoin said.
According to Beaudoin, multiple explosions were heard as flames and smoke shot into the air. A rural fire hydrant was utilized to douse the flames with about 1,000 gallons of water. By 3 p.m. the fire was under control.
A resident of the home said that the fire was caused by a trash fire that was thought to be extinguished, but reignited and spread to the barn. She did not notice until she heard the explosion and looked outside to see the fire. She immediately called 911.
Our main focus was to keep the fire from spreading to the nearby houses, Beaudoin said. The owners home and a neighbors whose dwelling is about 30 feet away,
Firefighters were able to contain and keep the fire to the barn and shop area. Damage was estimated at about $80,000 and included a 1964 Chevy Chevelle ragtop and a 1967 Pontiac GTO.
Our volunteers did a great job, Beaudoin said. You couldnt ask for more. We dont often get to train with the other companies, but as a mutual aid response, it was a job well done.
Colton was assisted by firefighters from Estacada, Molalla and Clackamas Fire District. ODF and First Response also assisted on scene.