Featured Stories

Molalla car fire spreads to house


Tuesday night fire on Warrick Road destroys garage and three cars

by: CORY MIMMS - A car fire in the Ford Explorer parked in the driveway spread to a Molalla home on at the corner of South Warrick Road and Molalla Road Tuesday night.A Molalla woman escaped from her burning home while calling 9-1-1 Tuesday night after a car fire spread to the house.

Denise Everhart, a Molalla Fire District spokeswoman, said a woman living in the13700 block of South Warrick Road had returned home shortly before 9:30 p.m., parked her Ford Explorer and went inside. A short time later, she heard a loud popping sound, but did not investigate.

“So a neighbor ran up to her house and said your car is on fire, and while the woman was on the phone calling 9-1-1, the house caught on fire,” Everhart said.

Firefighters arrived to find the fire had spread to the carport, the attached garage, the home's attic and some nearby trees. They were able to contain the fire before it spread to the rest of the house, which sustained smoke damage.

"Firefighters were able to pull some items out of her garage, but we were not able to save an antique car and sedan parked in the garage,” Everhart said. “There was a barn next door with a horse in it that the woman was worried about, but it was fine. And we did get a dog out of the house safely.”

No injuries were reported.

Everhart said cause of the car fire remains under investigation. The garage and three cars were a total loss. Damage was estimated at between $80,000 and $100,000.

“But we got a good stop on the fire before it spread to the house, which sustained only smoke damage.” she said. “This is important: when the woman left the house, she closed the doors ,and that helped keep smoke and flames from spreading throughout the house. Oftentimes we have people run out the front door and leave it open, and that lets the fire spread, because oxygen feeds a fire.”

Crews from the Canby, Colton and Monitor fire districts helped to fight the blaze, along with the Oregon Department of Forestry. Crews worked on mop-up until 2 a.m.