Featured Stories

Beware of garden products toxic to pets

Brought to you by Jonathan Wisniewski, Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin (EVCOT) - EMERGENCY VETERINARY CARE INSIDER -

EVCOT - Jonathan Wisnieski, DVMSpringtime brings out the green thumbs, as well as dangers for their pets.

If your cat or dog ingests slug bait, for example, you may notice the pet will begin shaking while walking. Most clients think their animals are having a seizure. Symptoms of slug bait poisoning will appear between 15 minutes and three hours of ingestion.

Slug bait with metaldehyde is toxic even in small amounts. But slug bait with iron (often labeled 'pet-safe') can be harmful too when consumed in larger amounts).

Dogs rooting through a compost pile are likely to find rotten garbage that's fermenting or growing mold and will make them sick. Keep your compost in a bin that's completely enclosed.

Look for signs of toxin trouble, including muscle tremors, diarrhea, panting, drooling and even collapsing. The pet's temperature rises very quickly, from a normal 102.5 degrees to 109 or 110 degrees.

The pet should be rushed for veterinary care right away. If the pet is still alert and walking, we can get them to vomit; perform aggressive enemas; administer charcoal; control muscle tremors with medications.

If more severe, we can pump their stomach.

The pet may suffer clotting, hemorrhage or organ failure. Plasma and blood transfusions would be the next step — and the prognosis goes from fairly favorable, to something more guarded, to poor.

To prevent this scenario, put slug bait in a place where your pets can't get to it.

Once ingested, however, there's no time to waste.

Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin

8250 SW Tonka St.

Tualatin, OR 97052

503-691-7922

www.evcot.com/