Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Candle starts fire at senior residence

No one injured, residents displaced by water from sprinkler system


A fire started by a fallen candle at a retirement community in Troutdale injured no one but caused an estimated $50,000 in damage and displaced residents after the building’s sprinkler system turned on.

At 1:08 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 15, Gresham firefighters were dispatched to Cherry Park Plaza, a senior living facility at 1323 S.W. Cherry Park Road, said Alyssa Roupp, spokeswoman at the Gresham fire department.

According to the fire report, a tenant had lit a candle on a table in her room to cover up the smell of wet dog.

The woman then used her electronic wheelchair to go to the kitchen.

Upon her return, the scooter bumped the end table.

The candle fell and set fire to a scarf and other garments hanging on the door.

Smoke from the fire activated the unit’s sprinkler system, and the fire was put out before six engines, a fire truck and the battalion chief responded to the scene.

The woman was not injured, Roupp said.

There was smoke damage in the room, and her scarf and garments were damaged.

Several residents were displaced as water released from the sprinklers damaged multiple rooms and common areas on the floors below.

Several agencies were contacted about the fire, and firefighters stayed to help clean up and remove the water, Roupp said.

Displaced residents were moved to temporary rooms until they could return to their own.

Estimated property damage was $40,000 along with $10,000 in damage to contents.




Local Weather

Fair

60°F

Gresham

Fair

Humidity: 72%

Wind: 3 mph

  • 20 Aug 2014

    Mostly Clear 77°F 54°F

  • 21 Aug 2014

    Mostly Sunny 79°F 59°F