Gas leak prompts evacuation of 150 in Cornelius
A natural gas leak temporarily displaced approximately 150 residents from their homes in Cornelius Monday evening.
On Monday, Oct. 9, at 6:47 p.m., Washington County Sheriff's Office deputies serving the city of Cornelius were asked to assist with the evacuation of a neighborhood due to a reported gas leak.
Deputies worked alongside members of the Cornelius Fire Department to evacuate affected community members. Residents in the area of North Fourth Avenue and Davis Street were asked to evacuate to the Walmart parking lot. The Reverse 911 system was also used to call and warn residents within the affected area.
TriMet provided a warming bus so evacuees could be more comfortable while waiting, WCSO officials said.
Crews from NW Natural located and stopped the gas leak. Residents were allowed to return home at approximately 8:10 p.m. Monday.