The blaze has affected five to 10 acres of land near Round Top in western Washington County, and firefighters hope to contain it by Sunday morning.

UPDATE: According to the Banks Fire District, some of their crews stayed overnight to fight the fire, along with crews from the South Fork Prison Firefighters and the Oregon Department of Forestry, which took command over the fire around midnight last night.

By that time, firefighters had created a line around three sides of the fire, according to a Banks Fire Facebook post. The prison and ODF crews are expected to spend several days mopping up the remains of the fire, which was not yet extinguished but under "pretty good control."

If firefighters need more water from Hagg Lake to fight the fire, ODF will make the call on whether to temporarily shut down the lake again.

A fire that started near Timber in western Washington County Saturday afternoon, Aug. 19, was still burning by 7:45 p.m., according to officials wth the Oregon Department of Forestry.

Mike Cafferata, the ODF's district forester for the Forest Grove District, said the blaze had burned between five and 10 acres near Round Top above Timber.

Cafferata said two air tankers had dropped water on the conflagration, but that it had not yet been extinguished.

"It's still an active fire," Cafferata said, but we're trying to get a line around it and stop its progression by morning."

He said firefighters from the Banks Fire Department were assisting ODF in fighting the fire. The cause is currently under investigation.

A Facebook post by the Gaston Rural Fire District around 6:30 p.m. said boats had been ordered to leave Hagg Lake due to firefighting aircraft scooping water from the lake to drop on the fire, but that order was lifted an hour later.

According to a Saturday Facebook post on the Banks Fire District 13 page, the wildfire was burning off Cochran Road. It was called in around 3:30 p.m. by a passerby on Highway 26 "who spotted the smoke column," wrote public information officer Scott Adams.

"Crews worked hard to locate the fire and how to get crews into the area," Adams added. Hagg Lake was closed to the public so fire planes could "re-load and return to the fire."

As of 7:12 p.m. two fire planes had made four runs dropping water on the fire; three sides of the fire had hose lines around them and all firefighting activity was ongoing "by hand in rough, steep terrain," he noted.

Contract Publishing

Go to top