Detectives determined Dustin Louis Childress, 40, and Thomas Lee Hegar Jr., 50, were shot at by 33-year-old Robert John Hilands

Clackamas County deputies are investigating a double homicide that occurred this week in Beavercreek, where two men reportedly tresspassed onto a property before thy were shot and killed by the property owner.

CCSO - HilandsAt approximately 10 a.m. on Tuesday, March 14, a vehicle dropped off Dustin Louis Childress, 40, and Thomas Lee Hegar Jr., 50, near the property on the 19200 block of S. Upper Highland Road. Childress and Hegar then reportedly without permission entered this property, which consists of privately owned forested land with multiple outbuildings.

About 15 minutes later, Childress called one of two women who were in the vehicle that dropped them off to report the men were being shot at. According to detectives, Childress told the woman that Hegar had been shot and wounded while fleeing the scene. Childress is a transient with a last known address in Molalla.

Detectives would later determine they were shot by 33-year-old Robert John Hilands, the owner of the property. Approximately seven-and-a-half hours later, at 5:46 p.m., one of the two women called 911 to report suspicious circumstances.

When patrol deputies arrived and searched Hilands' property with Hilands' consent, they found the bodies of Childress and Hegar concealed near the property's front gate, which is approximately 40 feet off Upper Highland Road.

Both Childress and Hegar had died of gunshot wounds, as later confirmed by the Clackamas County Medical Examiner.

While investigators continued to process the crime scene, Hilands agreed to an interview with detectives at CCSO headquarters, where he reportedly confessed to killing the two men. Detectives say that they are not releasing additional details of the shooting due to the ongoing investigation.

Hilands was taken into custody and transported to the Clackamas County Jail; he was booked on two counts of aggravated murder and unlawful use of a weapon.

During the investigation, Upper Highland Road was currently closed between Schuebel School and Ridge roads.

Contract Publishing

Go to top