Search for new fire chief is restarted
The board of directors of Canby Fire District 62 has resumed its search for a new fire chief.
The first search, pared down to five finalists, was suspended last month while the board reviewed the hiring process criteria. The board reopened the search to previous applicants and newcomers May 21. It closed May 30.
The board will review applications and select finalists at its 6 p.m. Monday, June 2 meeting, said board president Aaron Branum.
The finalists will be invited to visit Canby Monday and Tuesday, June 16 and 17, for a public reception and meet with interview panels.
The reception will be held Monday at a time to be announced at the fire station.
The interviews the following day will be held elsewhere as the fire station will be tied up for testing prospective firefighters, Branum said.
The finalists will be interviewed by three panels, the board itself, one made up of community leaders and one comprised of volunteer and paid firefighters and staff.
The search is to replace Ted R. Kunze, who retires July 1 after 16 years as fire chief.
The district board originally received 24 applications for the position, which pays $120,000 to $135,000 a year.
Since the timing of events is uncertain, the board plans to appoint an acting chief to cover any gap between the time Kunze leaves and the new chief starts, Branum said.