Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites

Chase starts in Canby, ends in arrest


An Independence man leads police on a 21-mile chase from Canby to Salem before crashing into a power pole

by: OSP PHOTO - 
A 43-year old man Independence man led officers on a 21-mile chase Thursday from Canby to north of Salem where he crashed his car into a power pole on Highway 99E near Nevada Street.

The man tried to run from his crashed car but was captured a short distance away by a Marion County Sheriff’s Office K-9.

Eric Clifford Jones ended up in the Clackamas County Jail charged with felony attempting to elude by vehicle, attempting to elude on foot and misdemeanor driving while suspended, reckless driving and property hit-and-run.

The chase started about 1:10 a.m. on Highway 99E at Berg Parkway when Canby Police officer Stephanie Wasserberger tried to pull over a 1998 Audi A4 four-door sedan for traffic violations.

But as soon as she hit the flashing lights, the driver bolted south on Highway 99E, said Canby Police Lt. Jorge Tro. Wasserberger gave pursuit and was joined by Canby Police Sgt. Tim Warren and Officer Chris Scharmota.

The fleeing car hit speeds of 80 mph and better as the chase continued through the cities of Aurora, Hubbard, Woodburn and Gervais.

Officers from the OSP, Gervais Police and the Clackamas and Marion county Sheriff's offices joined the chase.

Gervais Police deployed a spike strip that took out at least one of the fleeing car's tires, but it continued on, Tro said. The OSP laid another spike strip, taking out another tire. The car still continued a short way until it failed to negotiate a curve and crashed into the power pole, downing power lines.

The driver ran from his wrecked car into an open field. A Marion County K9 tracked and found him. Paramedics treated the suspect for a dog bite.

Tro said the suspect would not talk to officers but they believe he tried to flee because he was driving with a suspended license.

The chase and capture took place within 17 minutes. The episode started at 1:10 a.m. and ended with the suspect's arrest at 1:27 a.m., Tro said. "It was a great joint effort by everyone."