Featured Stories

Other Pamplin Media Group sites


Election 2014: Two faceoff in race for Washington County Commission District 2 seat

The Beaverton Valley Times asked candidates in the District 2 race for the Washington County Board of Commissioners to complete a candidate survey. Below is a sampling of some of their responses.

Greg P. Malinowski, incumbent

Job background:

My brothers and I own 60 acres of farmland in Bethany, growing organic hay and beef. I also worked for 30 years in high-tech manufacturing, quality and inventory control at Tektronix and Merix.

Community service: Malinowski

I served as chair of the Forest Park Neighborhood Association, Citizen Participation Organization (CPO) 7 chair and testified before Washington County, Multnomah County, Metro and the Oregon Legislature.

How should the county prioritize spending?

The county requires developers to pay only 28 percent of the true cost of infrastructure for new development. This leaves 72 percent of our infrastructure needs unfunded. The county also needs to provide assistance for our most vulnerable citizens, preventing homelessness, and helping homeless youth to finish and graduate from high school.

What community issues have you tackled at the neighborhood, Planning Commission or Board of Commissioners level? Have you worked to resolve or address a concern within your community?

I’ve worked on the issue of urban services in the unincorporated urban areas of Washington County. This includes code enforcement, restrictions on livestock, addressing sidewalk gaps, and providing pedestrian and bike access to county industrial and commercial sites.

What’s one issue the Board of Commissioners tackled that you wish had turned out differently? What went wrong?

The urban and rural reserves, also known as the “Land Use Grand Bargain,” was deeply mishandled by the board majority. Rather than convene an advisory board that included citizens, the county chose to include only developers and city planning managers. This allowed the county to use “pseudo factors” in determining which land was for urbanization and which would remain rural.

What is an initiative you feel turned out well, and what made it work?

The Urban Road Maintenance District Advisory Committee had a one-time surplus of funds available for low-cost sidewalk gaps. By working with citizens on the CPOs and other community groups, this mix of citizens and county road staff were able to fill a dozen sidewalk gaps in two to three years.

Robert M. Zahrowski, challenger

Job background:

Professor for the Oregon Institute of Technology, Department of Business, Wilsonville Campus; Strategy and Business consultant, RM Zahrowski & Associates

Education:Zahrowski

Doctorate in vocational education, Oregon State University; master's in vocational education, OSU; bachelor's of science degree in education, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Ill.

Neighborhood you live in: Rock Creek

Community service experience:

Enhanced Sheriff's Patrol District Advisory Board, Washington County; volunteer programs director, Washington County; ESPD Advisory Board, Washington County Sheriff's Office; volunteer programs instructor, Washington County Jail, Inmate Training & GED Tutor; president, Portland Chapter, International Institute of Business Analysts

What skills, knowledge and experiences do you bring to the Washington County Board of Commissioners?

Business and financial decision-making skills. Extensive experience as a board member and president of boards, with a desire to serve the community.

How should the county prioritize spending?

We need to set priorities in each and every community. District 2 is comprised of many neighborhoods: Rock Creek, Bethany, Cedar Hills, Cedar Mill and West Slope. Each has its own special needs.

What’s one issue the Board of Commissioners tackled that you wish had turned out differently? What went wrong?

Medical marijuana in Washington County. The state has a set of generic regulations, and asked the counties and cities to refine them to best suit their needs. It was simply too short of a time to understand the issues, work collaboratively with the cities and draw up a reasonable set of county regulations to govern the dispensaries operation.

What is an initiative you feel turned out well?

The final “grand bargain” for the rural and urban reserves for Washington County.




Local Weather

Light Rain

50°F

Beaverton

Light Rain

Humidity: 93%

Wind: 15 mph

  • 20 Dec 2014

    Rain 56°F 54°F

  • 21 Dec 2014

    Showers 54°F 46°F